Have you ever homebrewed a console?

Have you ever installed homebrew to a console? I’ve homebrewed my 3DS and man, it’s a lot more awesome now that Miiverse is back for example.

3 Likes

Yes actually, I have homebrewed my Nintendo DS. I think it’s more difficult to homebrew the newer consoles.

I’ve homebrewed basically every Nintendo device, the Nintendo switch being the best since it’s more powerful than a 3ds and is portable/dockable

Haha yeah. Homebrewed my Switch to gen in Pokémon when Sword and Shield released.

Excuse me being a noob but uhmm what is homebrewing a console? aha

Modifying a game console which lets you run emulators or play any game on it for free

1 Like

Kinda misleading. Not everyone homebrews to rip games. Homebrewing just allows you to install custom firmware on your console, whatever that may be. Most people are perfectly fine paying for their games like they’re supposed to.

1 Like

Nah bro everyone home brews to rip games :rofl:

You are very lucky that you have a hackable switch. I ended up with an unhackable unit.

Well, the “difficulty” of homebrewing a console really only depends on the requirements and bricking chance.
And it isn’t really true that newer means harder to hack, though it is a tendency.

Console Requirements Bricking chance
DS Flashcard Zero, as no firmware or other files are modified
DSi None A small chance to permanently brick when installing Unlaunch.
Wii None I honestly don’t know this one - I’ve never modded a Wii
3DS An app installed from the eShop - it will not be available next year Extremely low, next to 0 with a NTRBoot flashcard
Wii U None Quite high, you can’t restore a backup without [1] and you need to follow quite a few “golden rules”.
Switch Older units - none, newer units with FW 4.1.0 - none, newer units with FW >4.1.0 - [1] I also don’t know this because my unit cannot be hacked

[1] - Requires knowledge of black market sites where you can buy very specific hardware, extensive solder skills and a stable hand to not break anything. Not suitable for 99% of homebrewers.

1 Like

This is a bit off-topic, but since you did say you were open to constructive criticism, I find these sorts of posts a lot more enjoyable Ondra. No complaining or negative energy. Just you trying to engage in conversation about something you think is cool.

And funny, no trolls have commented here.

You should do these sorts of posts more. I think you’d find the result pleasing :]

6 Likes

I once tried to homebrew my 2DS, my first attempt at doing such a thing. It went smoothly for the whole thing but as soon as I got it up and running, I found out every app I tried to launch on the homebrew launcher would crash lol.
But hey it was a fun experience, I thought about trying to run things on my old PS3 or even PS4 before (though it might be hard)

Have you followed the website or a YT guide?

I kinda just read up and watched a ton of different guides and things until I could really find what’s the best method

my Wii and 3DS

I mean it’s as simple as plugging in a usb and you’re done. Install whatever games you want beforehand of course

There’s no USB port in the 2DS
For that I had to do a bunch of things with SD cards and game files and needing to launch the homebrew thing from this specific app
I don’t really remember much though since it was a couple years ago

For the ds’s you can just buy a $20 cartridge that has basically every Nintendo game

Flashcarts go for about $10 nowadays.

You should just follow 3ds.hacks.guide. Literally everyone does it - video guides are crazy outdated and lead to either bricks or broken things.