LittleItaly's Ultimate Guide To Mining

Hi there! This is something I’ve been wanting to put together for a while now, as mining has become a staple of Pixel Worlds and there’s yet to be a single complete guide for it. The wiki is the closest thing we have, as well as various forum posts with scattered info. I can remember starting out and not having a clue what to do, and being unable to find much information on how to get started was tough. The goal is to put EVERYthing you’ll need to know here as you start and progress through the mines. To make this a one-stop-shop if you know what I mean. This is weeks in the making, so it should be thorough, but I will add to it as need be. And feel free to correct any mistakes I made! So without further ado, I’m LittleItaly, and this is my

Ultimate Guide To Mining

What Is Mining?

What is Mining?

The mines are currently the best way to profit (aside from trading). With the right gear and know-how, the mines can net you tens of thousand of bytes per day. I will cover the different mining levels and everything you need to know about them later in this guide, as well as gear, but for now just remember that gear and pickaxe is EVERYTHING. Without gear mining above Level 2 is essentially a waste. It affects gemstone drop rates, loot drop rates and light levels. Picking gear is tricky, but I’ll rate them all on how good their functionality and price is later in this guide. What kind of pickaxe you have affects range, break power, damage, and gemstone drop rates. Mining takes time and a little bit of skill, but I’m sure you’ll find it’s worth it.

Entering a mine costs 1 key. Different level mines require different keys. The Level 1 mine is free to enter, no key necessary. You’ll enter at the top of the world and progress downwards towards the mine exit. When exploring the mines, you’ll come across gemstone blocks, nuggets, and enemies. These are all means of profiting through the mines. Gemstone blocks drop gemstones, which you can redeem for gems or sell for bytes. Nuggets are used for crafting mine keys for the next mine level (100 for 1 key) , and you’ll get an extra 20 of that mine’s nugget when you leave through the mine exit. Enemies drop ingredients, which can be used to craft gear, upgrade your pickaxe, or be sold for bytes.

image - Gemstone Block (Topaz)
image - Bronze Nugget
image - Mine Exit Room

The mines are dark, and in order to see what you’re doing you’ll continuously need to restock on light crystal energy as you traverse them. These crystals are scattered all throughout the mines, and come in three different sizes.

image - Small Light Crystal
image - Medium Light Crystal
image - Large Light Crystal

NPCs

NPCs

NPCs are nonplayable characters that hang around PIXELMINES. They have a variety of different uses, and I’ll cover them all here.

gemstone_buyer_no_bg-removebg-preview
Gemstone Buyer

• Located directly left of spawn. You can sell him your gemstones for gems. Gemstone prices increase with type and size, below are the list of gemstones and their prices in gems.

image Topaz - Tiny: 3, Small: 6, Medium: 12, Large: 30, Huge: 90
image Emerald - Tiny: 5, Small: 10, Medium: 20, Large: 50, Huge: 150
image Sapphire - Tiny: 10, Small: 20, Medium: 40, Large: 100, Huge: 300
image Ruby - Tiny: 20, Small: 40, Medium: 80, Large: 100, Huge: 600
image Diamond - Tiny: 30, Small: 60, Medium: 120, Large: 300, Huge: 900

Mining Gear NPC

• Located directly left and down from spawn. Bring him the necessary ingredients, gemstones, and gems, and he’ll help you craft a variety of different gear, as well as the starter pickaxe and repair kits. As I said, I’ll cover gear and pickaxes more thoroughly later in the guide. So for convenience sake I’ll only include the Pickaxe Repair Kit recipe here.

image Pickaxe Repair Kit - Repairs your pickaxe. (5 Rusty Nail + 5 Old Miner’s Shoe)

Pickaxe Upgrade Station

• Located right and down from spawn. Bring him the necessary ingredients, gemstones, and gems, and he’ll help you upgrade your pickaxes. Again, since I’ll be covering them thoroughly later I won’t include their recipes here.

Dark Stone Vendor

• Located to the far right of spawn. Will trade rare items for dark stones. I’ll list what he offers and their prices below.

image Golden Mining Helmet - 20 Dark Stones
image Mechanical Crossbow - 35 Dark Stones
image Dark Carbon Fiber Rod - 100 Dark Stones
image Swift Slicer - 175 Dark Stones
image Dark Pickaxe - 250 Dark Stones
image Wings Of The Deep - 750 Dark Stones

Wheel Of Fortune Scamming

• A fortunous scamming wheel. Located to the left and down of spawn, below the Gemstone Buyer. Level 2 - 5 mines grant a Mining Coin upon leaving through the mine exit. They look like this:
    Each spin costs 1 Mining Coin and can reward with 5 prize tiers. Those being 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars, 4 stars, and 5 stars.

• Note: you will never get the 5 star prize. I don’t know who the heck is winning these things.

Enemies

Enemies

There are 4 different types of enemies in the mines. Memorize their patterns and they just become a means to get loot. You’ll need to know how to handle them if you want to grind Level 5 mines, as they’re abundant and the source of pocket watches (the best loot you can get).

Rocky Horror

• This enemy does not move, but will summon 3 spikes to come out of the ground on and around you. Also capable of summoning spikes through walls. This is signaled by red markings on the tiles the spikes will appear from. Not very hard to kill but the spikes can be a pain if they catch you by surprise. These are best dealt with by avoiding the spikes for the first attack and attacking back while the enemy is in cooldown.

Health - 250
Damage - 55 (25 earth)
Spike Damage - 100 (earth)
Resistance - 100 (earth)
EXP - 50

Giant Bat

• Can appear anywhere on the screen, and will immediately start flying towards you at a quick speed. This enemy can fly through all blocks and in all directions. Generally pretty easy to kill but can be a hassle when multiple spawn at once. Easily dealt with by moving in the opposite direction as the enemy while attacking it. In groups of bats, flee and pick them off as they get close.

Health - 150
Damage - 85
Resistance - 50 (earth)
EXP - 30

Deep Maggot

• Appears randomly on nearby empty spaces with a solid block beneath it. Will charge a projectile and shoot it in the direction the player was standing when it started charging the attack. Projectiles can move through all blocks, and can be shot in all directions. After taking a shot, this enemy will burrow into the ground and reappear in another place. They are best dealt with as soon as they spawn as their projectiles can trap you into bad situations when multiple other enemies appear alongside or after them. Attack during their shot cooldown or as soon as they appear if close enough.

Health - 150
Damage - 55
Projectile Damage - 150
Resistance - 50 (earth)

Gassy

• This enemy, like giant bats, can appear anywhere on the screen (typically close to the player) and move through all blocks. These enemies deal no damage on contact, rather they self destruct in an explosion of gas that will hurt the player if they’re on top of or next to the enemy. These explosions deal heavy damage and will slow the player and reduce jump height greatly for a time. These enemies have two attack patterns. The first and most common attack is to immediately fly towards where the player is standing at a very high speed, then explode after a brief charge-up. The second and less common attack is for the enemy to appear and not fly towards you, but self destruct exactly where they spawned. These enemies do not drop loot and the best way to handle them is to just get out of the way. Remember, they don’t deal contact damage so running through them is perfectly fine. DO NOT expect the second attack. Always treat the appearance of a Gassy like the first attack until you’re sure it’s not.

Health - 0
Damage - 0
Explosion Damage Formula - (30 - Player’s Earth Elemental Resistance) x 500%)
Resistance - 0

Ingredients

Ingredients

Ingredients, a.k.a. drops, a.k.a. loot, can drop when you kill an enemy. They’re used for crafting gear and upgrading pickaxes, and pocket watches sell for thousands of bytes. It’s good to recognize what ingredients drop from what level mines and plan your expeditions accordingly. I’ll list them below and what mine(s) they can be found in.

image Old Miner’s Shoe - Can be found in level 1 (common drop)
image Rusty Nail - Can be found in levels 1-2, (common drop)
image Piece Of Rope - Can be found in levels 2-3 (uncommon drop)
image Tin Can - Can be found in levels 2-4 (uncommon drop)
image Miner’s Bucket - Can be found in levels 3-5 (rare drop)
image Matchbox - Can be found in levels 2-5 (rare drop)
image Gold Tooth - Can be found in levels 4-5 (ultra rare drop)
image Silver Coin - Can be found in level 5 (ultra rare drop)
image Pocket Watch - Can be found in level 5. The holy grail of loot (legendary drop)

Pickaxes

Pickaxes

Pickaxes determine range, break power, damage, and gemstone drop rates. It is the most important aspect to mining. Each pickaxe has a specific durability, and once it runs out you will need a Pickaxe Repair Kit to restore it. These are generally inexpensive to buy and make and it’s always good to have a few handy in case your pickaxe runs out mid-mine. Aside from the dark pickaxe and classic pickaxe, every pickaxe can be upgraded up from crappy using ingredients. So you could upgrade all the way up to epic and never spend a single byte.

Ranked from best to worst

Dark Pickaxe

• The best pickaxe in the game, technically. That being said, I do not reccomend using this pickaxe unless you have plenty of bytes to spend. It is not much better than the epic pickaxe and exponentially more expensive, and only with good gear. The only difference between the two is that dark pickaxe can make gemstones drop 1-12, while an epic pickaxe drops 4-8. You will spend lots of time trying to earn back what you bought it for. More of a miner flex item.

Gemstone drops - 1-12
Range - 3
Damage - 120
Durability - 10,000
Mine speed - Super fast

This item can only be bought from the Dark Stone Vendor for 250 Dark Stones, or through trading.

Epic Pickaxe

• Truly epick. Ha. This is the best pickaxe to use if you don’t have loads of bytes to blow on a dark pickaxe. It is exactly the same as the dark pickaxe but the gemstone drop rate is 4-8 instead of 1-12. After RNG, the gemstone drop rate is only slightly less than the dark pickaxe. Plus you get an achievement for upgrading it from a master pickaxe.

Gemstone drops - 4-8
Range - 3
Damage - 120
Durability - 10,000
Mine speed - Super fast

Recipe - Master pickaxe + 20 gold teeth gold tooth + 5 pocket watches pocket watch + 20 diamonds (huge) diamond + 45,000 gems

Master Pickaxe

• Proof that masters aren’t epic. The third best pickaxe in the game. Proficient up to level 4 mines but you’ll definitely want an epic pickaxe for level 5.

Gemstone drops - 3-7
Range -
Damage - 115
Durability - 8,000
Mine speed - Very Fast

Recipe - Heavy Pickaxe + 35 miner’s buckets miner bucket + 2 pocket watches pocket watch + 10 diamonds (huge) diamond + 30,000 gems

Heavy Pickaxe

• For when you need a heavy hitter but not for your wallet. Fourth best pickaxe around. Good for mines level 1-3 and usable for level 4, but not really recommended. Definitely keep it out of level 5.

Gemstone drops - 2-5
Range -
Damage - 115
Durability - 7,000
Mine speed - Fast

Recipe - Sturdy pickaxe + 30 matchboxes matchbox+ 10 silver coins silver coin + 5 rubies (huge) ruby + 20,000 gems

Sturdy Pickaxe

• Sturdy over turdy. Not the best pickaxe, but good enough. Comes in at 5th best pickaxe. Useful for mines level 1-2 and acceptable for level 3, but not good for anything higher than that.

Gemstone drops - 2-4
Range -
Damage - 110
Durability - 6,500
Mine speed - Normal

Recipe - Basic pickaxe + 50 rusty nails rusty nail + 25 miner’s buckets miner bucket + 5 sapphires (huge)
sapphire + 12,000 gems

Classic Pickaxe

• A basic pickaxe with better mine speed. That’s it. Truly classic.

Gemstone drops - 1-3
Range -
Damage - 110
Durability - 6,000
Mine speed - Normal

This item can only be obtained from the Epic Miner achievement or through trading.

Basic Pickaxe

• The girlfriend your parents don’t want you to bring home, except a pickaxe. Nothing special to say about it. Really only good for level 1 and 2 mines.

Gemstone drops - 1-3
Range -
Damage - 110
Durability - 6,000
Mine speed - Kinda slow

Recipe - Flimsy pickaxe + 25 tin cans tin can + 5 silver coins silver coin + 5 emeralds (huge) emerald + 7,500 gems

Flimsy Pickaxe

• Not a very good pickaxe. But you work with what you got. At least it’s not the worst. Good for level 1 and alright for level 2.

Gemstone drops - 1-2
Range -
Damage - 105
Durability - 5,500
Mine speed - Slow

Recipe - Crappy pickaxe + 25 old miner’s shoes old miner's shoe + 10 pieces of rope pice of rope+ 3 topaz (huge) topaz + 5,000 gems

Crappy Pickaxe

• A fitting name. This thing stinks. Literally a rock tied to a stick. The very first pickaxe, obtainable from the Mining Gear NPC for 2,000 gems.

Gemstone drops - 1
Range -
Damage - 100
Durability - 5,000
Mine speed - Very slow

This item is only obtainable from the Mining Gear NPC for 2,000 gems or through trading.

Gear

Gear

Gear is very, very important when mining. It affects gemstone drop rates, loot drop rates and light levels. The best gear set applies for all mines, but certain gear can be good alternatives in certain levels, and I’ll mention those when it’s necessary.

Ranked by clothing type, from best to worst in each category.

Shoes

Shoes

image (RECCOMENDED)

Deep Dweller Shoes - Adds enemy indicator. Same function as Excavator boots but cheaper to make or buy. Better to get mouse tail and use the shoes spot for something with better armor.

Recipe - 75 old miner’s shoes old miner's shoe + 2 matchboxes matchbox+ 20 topaz (large) topaz + 10,000 gems

Excavator Boots - Adds enemy indicator. Same function as Deep Dweller shoes but more expensive to make or buy. Better to get mouse tail and use the shoes spot for something with better armor.

Recipe - 125 old miner’s shoes old miner's shoe + 2 miner’s buckets miner bucket + 40 topaz (large) topaz + 10,000 gems

Pants

Pants

image (RECOMMENDED)

Deep Dweller Pants - The best and only mining pants. Increases the efficiency of light crystals.

Recipe - 50 pieces of rope pice of rope + 10 matchboxes matchbox + 5 topaz (huge) topaz + 50,000 gems

Gloves

Gloves

image (RECOMMENDED)

Excavator Gloves - Again, the best and only gloves for mining. Increases the chance of finding huge gemstones.

Recipe - 75 rusty nails image + 4 gold teeth gold tooth + 10 topaz (huge) topaz + 10,000 gems

Shirts

Shirts

image (RECOMMENDED)

Deep Dweller Shirt - Best mining shirt because the devs added armor to this one. Much cheaper than excavator shirt. Increases ingredient drops.

Recipe - 60 pieces of rope pice of rope + 40 tin cans tin can + 30 emeralds (large) emerald + 25,000 gems

Excavator Shirt - Same function as deep dweller shirt but significantly more expensive, and the devs forgot to add armor to it lol. People only wear this to flex. Increases ingredient drops.

Recipe - 30 matchboxes matchbox + 1 pocket watch pocket watch + 60 emeralds (large) emerald + 30,000 gems

Neck/Back Items

Neck/Back Items

image (RECOMMENDED FOR LEVEL 5)

Miner Backpack - Best back item for mining for level 5 mines. Increases ingredient drop chance.

Recipe - 200 old miner’s shoes old miner's shoe + 40 miner’s buckets miner bucket + 100 rubies (large) ruby + 25,000 gems

image (RECCOMENDED FOR LEVELS 1-4)

Pendant Of The Moment - The best neck item for mines level 1-4, and since it’s not neck and back like miner backpack, it can accommodate a back item like wings or a jetpack. Same function as pendant of brightness but cheaper to make or buy. Increases ambient light.

Recipe - 300 tin cans tin can + 15 silver coins silver coin + 15 rubies (huge) ruby + 10,000 gems

Pendant Of Brightness - Same function as pendant of the moment but more expensive to make or buy. Also an okay alternative to miner backpack in level 1-4 mines. Increases ambient light.

Recipe - 30 gold teeth gold tooth + 20 silver coins silver coin + 10 rubies (huge) ruby + 20,000 gems

Lower Face Items

Lower Face Items

image (RECOMMENDED)

Miner Gasmask - Best lower face item for mining, plus it looks pretty cool. Increases the chance of finding huge gemstones.

Recipe - 50 matchboxes matchbox + 5 pocket watches pocket watch + 200 rubies (large) ruby + 50,000 gems

Excavator Mustache - Same function as deep dweller beard and ever so slightly less expensive to make or buy. Increases the chance for extra gemstones.

Recipe - 20 matchboxes matchbox+ 10 gold teeth gold tooth + 40 sapphires (large) sapphire + 40,000 gems

Deep Dweller Beard - Same function as excavator mustache and ever so slightly more expensive to make or buy. Increases the chance for extra gemstones.

Recipe - 150 rusty nails image + 7 silver coins silver coin + 10 emeralds (huge) emerald + 50,000 gems

Glasses

Glasses

image (RECOMMENDED)

Excavator Glasses - Same function and price as deep dweller glasses, but since I think they look cooler they come first. Slightly more expensive to craft. Increases the chance of finding huge gemstones.

Recipe - 75 pieces of rope pice of rope + 4 pocket watches pocket watch + 20 sapphires (huge) sapphire + 30,000 gems

Deep Dweller Glasses - Same function as deep dweller glasses and virtually the same price. Slightly cheaper to craft. Increases the chance of finding huge gemstones.

Recipe - 150 rusty nails image + 4 pocket watches pocket watch + 200 sapphires (large) sapphire + 20,000 gems

Monocle Of Seeing - By far the worst glasses to use for mining. Increases light range when light crystal energy is depleted. Maybe this sounds nice, but are more than enough light crystals in the mines to keep your light crystal energy gauge from dropping to 0. And even if it does it’s usually never for long. This item is essentially useless. And expensive.

Recipe - 20 miner’s buckets miner bucket + 20 silver coins silver coin + 15 sapphires (huge) sapphire + 50,000 gems

Head Items

Head Items

image (RECOMMENDED)

Sturdy Mining Helmet - Same function as golden mining helmet, crown of flames, and headband lamp, but is the cheapest option. Increases the chance for extra gemstones.

Recipe - 175 pieces of rope pice of rope + 30 gold teeth gold tooth + 10 diamonds (huge) diamond + 50,000 gems

Golden Mining Helmet - Same function as sturdy mining helmet, crown of flames, and headband lamp but significantly cheaper than the last two. Increases the chance for extra gemstones.

This item can only be obtained from the Dark Stone Vendor for 20 Dark Stones or through trading

Crown Of Flames - Same function as sturdy mining helmet, golden mining helmet, and headband lamp. Much more expensive than the first two but a bit cheaper than a headband lamp. Another miner flex item, plus it’s an ingredient for the space warrior jet.

Recipe - 10 matchboxes matchbox + 1 elixir of flame elixir of flame + 1 reinforced bamboo rod reinforced rod + 50,000 gems

Headband Lamp - Same function as sturdy mining helmet, golden mining helmet, and crown of flames, but is the most expensive option to make or buy. It’s also the worst looking of the 4 in my opinion.

Recipe - 50 matchboxes matchbox + 7 pocket watches pocket watch + 200 diamonds (large) diamond + 5,000 gems

Deep Dweller Hat - Same function as excavator helmet but a bit more expensive to buy and a bit less expensive to make. Not a bad buff but nothing compared to bonus gemstones, plus it’s more expensive than any of the previous 4 items. Increases light radius.

Recipe - 60 miner’s buckets miner bucket + 8 pocket watches pocket watch + 40 diamonds (huge) diamond + 40,000 gems

Excavator Helmet - Same function as deep dweller hat but a bit cheaper to buy and a bit more expensive to make. Increases light radius.

Recipe - 20 silver coins silver coin + 10 pocket watches pocket watch + 60 diamonds (huge) diamond + 10,000 gems

Mouse Ears - The worst head item for mining. Increases light crystal efficiency (a.k.a. they fill your light crystal energy gauge more). Not really necessary since the current efficiency works just fine. Not worth sacrificing the clothing slot.

Recipe - 10 gold teeth gold tooth + 7 pocket watches pocket watch + 150 diamonds (large) diamond + 10,000 gems

Tail

Tail

Mouse Tail - The only mining tail. Better than deep dweller shoes, as they free up a shoe slot for armor.

Recipe - 40 miner’s buckets miner bucket + 5 silver coins silver coin + 10 emeralds (huge) emerald + 40,000 gems

11 Likes

(Part 2 because max char.)

Levels

Levels

There are 5 levels to the mines. Each level offers its own gemstone type, ingredient drops, and nuggets to combine into keys for the next mine level. Each higher level of the mines offers more opportunity to profit, with level 5 mines being the best (assuming you have the right gear) as it’s the only level that can drop pocket watches and cryptic mechanical boxes. In this section I’ll cover the worst possible pickaxe usable for each level, possible ingredients from each level, each level’s specific key, gemstones, and nuggets, and roughly the possible profit from running that level 10 times with the following formulas:

Levels 1-4: (Avg. gemstone value + Price of 700 nuggets - Cost of entry)

Level 5: (Avg. gemstone value + Avg. pocket watch/cryptic mechanical box value - Cost of entry)
(I will explain nugget profit in that section as it’s a bit different for level 5)

please note that all calculations are based on perfect runs (as in all gemstone blocks broken, nuggets collected, and enemies killed) with the ideal gear equipped, and at the end of the day it really all comes down to RNG

Level 1

• I recommend not even running these thoroughly, rather rush through them for the nuggets. Level 1 mines are hardly worth the profit for the work it takes.

Entry cost - Free
Gemstone type - Topaz topaz
Nuggets - Bronze bronze nug
Recommended pickaxe - Any
Ingredient drops - old miner's shoerusty nailpice of rope
Average Profit - 1-4k bytes

Level 2

Entry Cost - Bronze mine key bronze key
Gemstone type - Emerald emerald
Nuggets - Silver silver nug
Recommended pickaxe - Flimsy or better
Ingredient drops - rusty nailpice of ropetin canmatchbox
Average profit - 4-8k bytes

Level 3

Entry Cost - Silver mine key silver key
Gemstone type - Sapphire sapphire
Nuggets - Gold gold nug
Recommended pickaxe - Sturdy or better
Ingredient drops - pice of ropetin canminer bucketmatchbox
Average profit - 8-12k bytes

Level 4

Entry cost - Golden mine key gold key
Gemstone type - Ruby ruby
Nuggets - Platinum plat nug
Recommended pickaxe - Heavy or better
Ingredient drops - tin canminer bucketmatchboxgold tooth
Average profit - 9-15k bytes

• Level 5 mines are a bit different, as you have to calculate drop values. Level 5 mines also reward dark nuggets, which are untradeable but can be redeemed for tradable items. Average profit is a wider margin due to an increased reliance on RNG. Enemies in this mine also drop cryptic mechanical boxes, which work like fossils (as in, solve a puzzle get a prize) and reward graffiti pieces.

Entry cost - Platinum mine key plat key
Gemstone type - Diamond diamond
Nuggets - Dark dark nug (I recommend saving these up for swift slicer [250 perfect runs for an immediate 170,000 bytes], dark pickaxe [358 perfect runs for an immediate 300,000 bytes], or wings of the deep [1072 perfect runs for an immediate 800k+ bytes]
Recommended pickaxe - Epic or better
Ingredient drops - miner bucketmatchboxgold toothsilver coinpocket watch + image
Average profit (without dark nuggets) - 14-30k bytes

Perks

Perks

While all of your equip slots will be full of gear, to help strengthen your chances of surviving the mines it is helpful to understand which perks are useful. And better yet which are essential. Here are all of the possible perks you could use specifically for the mines categorized by damage dealt, damage received, and miscellaneous. I will include my recommended perk lineup for beginner miners, as well as my own personal perk lineup for anyone curious.

Note: Scent of Gold is probably the most important perk you can have equipped. From personal testing, it increases gemstone rates by a pretty noticeable amount.

Possible Perks

Damage recieved:

• Armorer: +10 armor
  • Healthy: +10% HP
  • Helping Hand: +10% HP with a familiar
  • Vampire: +1% HP per enemy killed
  • Elemental Armor: +3 to every elemental armor

Damage dealt:

• Here Comes the Pain: +10% DMG
  • Critical Strike: Increased chance of critical hits
  • Melee Madness: +5% DMG with a melee weapon
  • Kamikaze: -10% HP, +5% DMG
  • Fierce Companion: +3% DMG with a familiar
    Bullseye is bad because it only applies with ranged weapons, while a pickaxe is melee

Misc.:

• Scent of Gold: Increases chance of finding bonus items from broken blocks
  • Beneficial Savagery: +5% XP from enemies
  • Immovable: Removes knockback to self
  • Fire Walker: Lava does -10% DMG
  • Heavy Hit: +50% DMG, -50% hit frequency
  • Healthy Hit: +5% DMG with full health, -10% DMG without full health

Recommended for beginner miners:

• Immovable (or Armorer if low level)
  • Healthy
  • Here Comes the Pain
  • Vampire (or Helping Hand if low level)
  • Scent of Gold

My perk lineup:

• Here Comes the Pain
  • Scent of Gold
  • Healthy
  • Immovable
  • Beneficial Savagery

FAQ

FAQ

I can finish the mines, but I can never fully collect everything! What can I do?

From my experience, I’ve found the best way to traverse the mines and collect everything is to follow a zigzag pattern sorta like this:

I keep dying in the mines and wasting my bytes! How can I get better?

Always keep some healing potions handy! Especially for higher level mines. Don’t hesitate to use them if need be. Keep note of the armor your gear offers and the damage your pickaxe does. And above all, PRACTICE! The better used to navigating the mines and dealing with enemies you become, the easier and faster your mining expeditions will be. And playing on a PC always helps.

Is it worth grinding everything myself or should I buy keys and ingredients?

It really just depends. Grinding up to gold/platinum can be profitable but it’s generally not worth the effort. You’d make more buying the keys and profiting through the mine you’re wanting to go to. For higher levels it’s usually best to buy the keys needed. Lower level mines are alright to grind up to as it doesn’t take as long and they’re easier to complete.

As for ingredients, it’s always best to get your own when you can, but don’t stop grinding out your level 5 mines to get old miner’s boots from a level 2 mine. It’s alright to buy ingredients when it’s more worthwhile long-term.

I don't have many bytes / I'm starting from scratch! What gear should I invest in for each level to maximize profit?

Gear is good to have regardless of mining level. And pretty much anything that gives more huge gemstones or more gemstones in general is gonna be ideal. It’s not necessary for Level 1 since your profit margin is very small and you’re really only going for nuggets. It’s strongly recommended for Level 2 because that’s generally when a player will start really worrying about gemstones and gemstone profit. And it’s necessary for Level 3 and above because a lot of your profit from that point on is coming from gemstones (and drops at level 5). I would say starting off, prioritize getting:

imageExcavator Gloves (cheap for good buff)

imageimageExcavator Mustache/Deep Dweller Beard (gasmask is expensive and not worth the investment until levels 4-5)

imageSturdy Mining Helmet (cheap for good buff)

imageDeep Dweller Shoes (cheap and enemy indicator is great)

You can then start filling in the gaps with the extra bits. (more light, more ingredients, etc.)

Anything with a pocket watch in its crafting ingredients is usually okay to hold off on until you’re consistently running Level 4 and/or 5 mines, as even though the buff is good it’s not worth the cost of the item for the profit you’re making.

(Example: Miner gasmask is 35k bytes. Only running level 2 mines, it would take hundreds of keys for your investment to pay off. Only running level 5, it could be just 10-15 keys before your investment was worthwhile.)

When you are consistently running Level 4 and 5 mines you can start getting the more expensive gear. At that point just prioritize gear for more/more huge gemstones. Start with the cheapest gear available and move up to the more expensive things as you see fit.

Remember that miner’s backpack is crucial for level 5 and recommended for lower levels, but since it is the most expensive option, pendant of the moment is okay for Level 4 and under.

Are there any items that can be used with the recommended gear to improve armor/resistance?

Aside from replacing deep dweller shoes with mouse tail and getting better armor shoes, you can use crown of flames as it allows you to use a mask with armor (like green bouncer). Other than this, you would need to lose one of your other gear to accommodate.

The better option is to adjust your perks. You can read more about that in this guide under “Perks”.

And that about covers it! This concludes my ultimate guide to mining. I hope you learned a thing or two because this took hours and hours of research, trial, formatting, and typing. Feel free to reference this guide any time you need it!

Information was all gathered from the wiki and my own research/experimentation. Feel free to correct anything I missed or got wrong :]

17 Likes

Average 6 anyway, so it won’t give you more profit.

Oops nvm, average 6.5 for 1-12

1 Like

Just what I found through personal testing. I got a little over 1k extra bytes worth of gems on average for every 10 runs using dark pickaxe, and a few others who’ve tried testing it have found a very slight increase too. I guess mathematically they average at 6 (or ig 6.5 so average would be higher anyway) but gear buffs still affect odds with a dark pickaxe so it usually comes out being ever so slightly more profitable.

1 Like

Yes I corrected myself

3 Likes

Thanks for this!:smile:

I’m going to bookmark this and refer this to others when they need help about mining.

1 Like

I do the same with your fishing guide! That thing helped me so much and it still holds up to this day. Funny how it all sorta comes full circle haha.

1 Like

You did an oopsie…

It’s called Wheel of Scamming… impossible to get the grand prize… i personally used over 3k coins i think and i never got the wyvern…

It’s a nice guide by the way, well done!

2 Likes

I corrected it my apologies.

Sorta fixed the ingredient drops for you. Speaking from experience, I don’t recall getting any Miner’s shoe from any mines except for Level 1. Same goes for golden tooth dropping in level 3 mines.

Do correct me if my memory is wrong, but I’m sure some of the information in the wiki are incorrect.

2 Likes

Yeah I knew the wiki was wrong about ingredients so I tried to recall from memory and figured someone would correct me if I was wrong too lol. Thanks! I fixed it :]

Good job on the guide. I’ll check it out entirely to see if there is something I should update myself on when it comes to mining.

1 Like

Congratulations on finishing your novel.

6 Likes

Thanks. Bury me with it.

1 Like

I might copy and paste too.

Update: Added drop down spoilers for a much needed improvement to ease of access. Hope it helps. :]

1 Like

Went back to verify. can confirm that match boxes drop from level 5 mines. Everything else seems to check out though.

Thank you for the guide, really needed those gear otherwise i was going to make a monocle lol. But id like to know something about the cycle for mining, i already know its about buying small key to get better key or start from scratch, but at what point should i try to move up to buy and use silver keys, gold keys, and platinum keys? Can i use it now or should i wait for good gear with health potion preparations? I mostly start from scratch, and once i get a silver key i just start selling those and not use the silver key instead, a bit anxious especially as a mostly-mobile player. I really wanna be efficient and try not to waste any keys, still trying to collect all the information i can find before trying the harder mines as well, so id really like to know

2 Likes

I’ll add to the guide in a bit and elaborate, but in basic summary:

Gear is good to have regardless of mining level. And pretty much anything that gives more huge gemstones or more gemstones in general is gonna be ideal. It’s not necessary for Level 1 since your profit margin is very small and you’re really only going for nuggets. It’s strongly recommended for Level 2 because that’s generally when a player will start really worrying about gemstones and gemstone profit. And it’s necessary for Level 3 and above because a lot of your profit from that point on is coming from gemstones (and drops at level 5). I would say starting off, prioritize getting excav gloves (cheap for good buff), either excav mustache or deep dweller beard (since gasmask is expensive and not really worth the investment until levels 4-5), sturdy mining helmet (cheap for good buff), and deep dweller shoes (since they’re cheap and the enemy indicator is so helpful, especially in higher level mines), then start getting the extra gear you might need (more light, ingredient drops, etc.)

Anything with pocket watch in its crafting ingredients is usually okay to hold off on until you’re consistently running Level 4 and/or 5 mines, as even though the buff is good it’s not worth the cost of the item for the profit you’re making. When you are consistently running Level 4 and 5 mines you can start getting the more expensive gear. At that point just prioritize gear for more/more huge gemstones starting with the cheapest and ending with the most expensive. Remember that miner’s backpack is crucial for level 5 and recommended for lower levels, but pendant of the moment is okay for Level 4 and under.

3 Likes

Thats a lot to take in, but i think i got it. Now i know what to prioritize first before anything, but im still trying to get the boots lol. I’ve just been running level 2 to play safe the entire time, might need one of those gears first until i try level 3. Thank you again good sir

2 Likes