My water rocket space program

First successful test flight of my bottle rocket. I calculated the height to be ~65 Meters by measuring the time it takes for the rocket to fall from apogee.

h = 1/2gt²
v = gt

~100 meters minus the air resistance, bringing the total to around 65 meters.

It didn’t launch very straight due to there being no guide rod yet. The hose adapter was separated by hand, because I wanted the first test to be done in a way, in which there are as little factors at play as possible. The nozzle was 3D-printed using ABS.

I’m planning on combining two of these using a 3D-printed tornado tube to make a 5.3L rocket. I might increase the pressure to 100 psi (~7 bar).

8 Likes

I like your cut g

1 Like

Looks weird from behind

:droplet::rocket:

2 Likes

Wow, as expected from a student in Finland! :open_mouth:

Is this a school project and does your school teach you this?
or do you learn this by yourself?

My school never taught me how to make that.

Ephus in 4K

5 Likes

School ended yesterday. I saw a video of a guy on YouTube making a simple bottle rocket out of a soda bottle, I got interested and decided to splice some 1.5L bottles together with some polyurethane based construction glue.

Then I printed some nozzles and adapters, grabbed a bicycle valve and put the thing together. I made the launch pad in school. I also took a 3m steel rod/pipe from school to be the guide rod.

4 Likes

I only came here to check ephus’s back I mean good project! How did it end?

1 Like

Screenshot_20210606_183557

1 Like

It won’t end for a long, long time.

I’ve been building this rocket during the weekend.

2 Likes

giphy

I barely understood any of your sciency stuff you said but the gif above explains my reactions

1 Like

Here’s a update on the rocket that I have been building.

I installed a weight using a bit 60g nut and 3d printed to print it. I also added some thin, but sturdy fins.
I made a little capsule that will separate from the rocket once the rocket is in its apogee.

This picture was taken at 10 pm. The sun was still shining.

From the three pictures you revealed I can track you down to your exact location hack into your pixel worlds account and steal all your world locks I’m on a plane to Finland right now.

The tax payers will pay for the corona test and hotel for the quarantine. My account has a Epic pickaxe, byte coins and some other items.

I flew the rocket two weeks ago. It got stuck in a tree. It fell down two weeks later.
I decided to pick a better spot for the flight, which was a tiny island in the middle of the lake, with nowhere for the rocket to get stuck in a tree again.

Here’s a slowed down video. The rocket was pressurized to 8 BAR, using a 22mm nozzle and a 455mm launch tube, with 700ml of water for optimum performance.

The rocket flew to apogee, which was at around 140-150m, in a couple of seconds, reaching a top speed of around 400 km/h just after its ‘burn’ and air pulse.

It crashed down at around 150 km/h. The nose only got a bit flattened, but it worked great once pressurized again.

I am also working on a flight computer, which is based on a ESP8266, using a 3-axis gyroscope, a 3-axis accelerometer and a precision barometer to determine when the rocket is at apogee and when it should release the parachute using a 9g servo motor. A camera is also scheduled to be put on a rocket in the near future.

3 Likes

Waht

:sweat_drops: :rocket: :zap:

2 Likes

Probably an issue with your internet connection or something.

1 Like

I washed, cut, sanded, spray painted and spliced some 1.5l bottles to make this. I also added 3 fairings. I also 3d printed some ‘tornado tubes’ between the bottles.
The fuselage was pressure tested to 10 Bar, no leaks.

3 Likes

what are you using to create the pressure!?