Open-source streaming platform

So, there is an open-source project (NOT naming it to not advertise) where you can self-host your OWN platform where you can stream, and they say it is compatible with OBS (Jake said he uses it) and/or other software.

Pros:

• It is literally open-source, that is a pro in itself.
  • No need to deal with inputting your social security number and the MANY risks associated with it.
  • You have the control over it, not Twitch’s or any other platform’s moderation bots.
  • It is on your own domain, so it can just be something like “streams.pixelworldsgame.com

Cons:

• It is self-hosted, that means you need to buy hosting and set it up.
  • As it is not a popular platform, people might not know about it. However, this doesn’t apply for game developer streams because they can just put a link up in the game and the community will go to it.

What do YOU all think? Would it be a viable alternative to Twitch? Because I sure as hell WILL use it if Jake sets it up and streams on there.

I don’t really see an issue with Twitch right now, they already have many people there and changing it would mean they lose support for things like Stream Avatars and the rewards used for things like Muggy cards. There’s not really a reason to change up (especially since they’d need to do a whole lot of work by the sounds of it) if the current system works perfectly fine, imo

Did you notice something odd with twitch? Something that restricts you from using the good features without inputting every single of the 9 digits of your social security number? Yes, and it’s called Affiliate.

Don’t really want to have this argument again, they need it to be able to pay the streamer

Current system works fine imo

If it wasn’t for collecting sensitive info and really only to unlock monetization, they wouldn’t restrict polls and/or channel points.

Well, there already is one, I just didn’t name it due to the fact that it might be taken as advertising.

That costs money, to host a server.

They already host both forums and the game servers, both of which cost a lot more money than that would.

You do not seem to comprehend how that works. It is not that easy, far from it.

I knew this post would be by ondrashek I knew it

6 Likes

Renting a server to stream on would not eliminate the need for other servers. They’d still need to pay for the other ones.

You’re basically saying “They already pay for these two, why not pay for this one as well? It’s cheaper!”

Or do you want them to shut down the forum server and the game server, to instead get the streaming server?

I also want you to know that SSNs are used in much more than just twitch.

Everything that pays you online, is legally required to get your SSN.

Google adsense, for example.

1 Like

Bro, its your choice to enter your SSN, your not even old enough to input it, twitch isnt a sketchy website, your literally not old enough to enter you SSN without consent, unless you have permission from a guardian to give your personal information, if not just suck it up, its not a big deal

I think the term special needs applies in two ways to this scenario.

1 Like

I have questions, and my biggest one is:

• What’s your problem with Twitch? Is it the streamers? Or is it the people? Or is it both?

Anyways, my other questions are irrelevant right now. Now besides the questions, I don’t think it would be a good idea to use this service as it could be untrustworthy. And as you mention not many people know about it, then not many people will know about you streaming on this service. So, I would stick with YouTube or Twitch.

Here we go again… No a multi-million dollar company does not want to steal from you, they could, but they wouldn’t. We’ve been over this before!

You can’t avoid your taxes! :smiley:

2 Likes

A SSN IS A VERY SENSITIVE PIECE OF INFORMATION.

It can be used to:

• Steal your identity
  • Take loans in your name
  • Do stuff related to the government as you
  • Etc…

AND YOU CAN ONLY GET ONE SSN. IT IS NOT A PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS.

That does not change the fact of it being needed for tax purposes and identity verification by law.
If this bothers you that much, I suggest you double your meds.