What I learned from hosting a Discourse forum

As Discourse is exactly the same forum software that these forums use, and due to the fact that Discourse is open-source and the installation guide is relatively easy, I decided to install a testing forum.

So, I’ve busted a few questions about these forums:

Can you host them completely for free, without a credit card?
As long as you’re a student and the student email you own is recognized by Github. The github benefits for students include $100 MS Azure credits, which are good for 5 months of their hosting. There are also free domain services and email senders that you need.

What is the setup difficulty?
There are setup wizards that guide you through the setup. The installation guide, while not being completely clear, if someone is willing to guide you through it, it’s easy.

Can you change the Like button icon?
No. While there’s a “Customize” tab in the admin panel, it doesn’t contain the like button. Maybe you could add this via a plugin though.

What about moderation reason fields?
Well, that one is kinda complicated. Roblox devforums use these, but I didn’t find them anywhere on my forums. Maybe it’s a plugin again.

What about updating?
There is a wizard that literally is a “one-click-update”. No need to reinstall or do console commands.

Other things that you should know:
There is an “Impersonate” button in the admin panel that allows admins to log in as ANY account and post from it. So don’t take people’s posts as really from that person.

If you have any questions about whether X is available, I can answer it. I still have access to my forum and its admin panel.

1 Like