Actual programming instead of logic gates

Could we get actual programming in pixel worlds?

I mean, the gates are cool and they can do everything if you have enough of them and enough time, but I’ve been programming for a long time already and I can tell for sure, actual programming is a lot easier.

The complexity won’t change much for simple stuff people do with wires like automatic spleef, but it will change for stuff like, my idea of making a randomly generated maze with bone gates.

Only ended up with 3 blocks generating from the start after 30 minutes, got insecure, opened python and made a randomly generated pathway in an array, 20 lines in 10 minutes, and it was working. (Though I only made it to go left and up from the start, but I couldn’t have even done that with gates)

The reason why programming is easier than logic gates is because:

1. Loops
  2. Conditions
  3. Variables

You could add all of that with logic gates, but that would mean that you almost made an entire computer, so none of the players would do that. (maybe some would, but I’m too lazy)

It would open a lot of possibilities for players if they could use an actual programming language with all of the features mentioned above.

1 Like

i enjoy coding aswell, would be cool if they added this.

1 Like

Yeah, I love programming too.

But wouldn’t it be too hard to understand for kids?

1 Like

They’d have to put a LOT of restrictions on things so players don’t find ways to program game breaking things.

2 Likes

There’s gonna be that one guy who makes a working calculator.
Dev mentioned a wiring limit, so i’m not sure if their servers could handle entire contraptions that fill up an entire world.

2 Likes

They can’t even add a card update without breaking the game, so I think they should lay off something this advanced lmfao

1 Like

That’s the reason why the current wiring is so rare, let alone the new one

Would this be a more advanced wiring feature? You can sorta already do for loops with wiring. I don’t see how variables would fit with how wiring works right now. This would maybe take a lot of time to add, and I don’t think a lot of players even know how to code, so they probably won’t use this. I would think this would have to be more advanced wiring because, as bluvox said there would have to be restrictions, with this. Or else you can break the game. Also if they where to add this what programming language would this be? I would assume C# because Pixel Worlds is programmed in the language.

1 Like

That would be cool, but there would be only bunch of people who really enjoy it unfortunately.

yeah i was gonna say; it’d be a really niche update that very few would be able to enjoy properly.
And also as neoslayer, this would be biting off more than they could chew

3 Likes

The reason wiring isn’t used loads is because people think it’s complicated so adding programming would be used by very very few people.

If you can do logic gates, (and I mean understand what happens, not just copy from other players or tutorials) then programming will be easy for you.

1 Like

Answer to your last question - Whatever language would be the easiest to implement. I heard lua is a good choice if you need to add a programming language into another software, yet I don’t know why.

It would also be nice if the language had as much features as possible, like pointers and OOP, not all languages have these.

Python has OOP, yet no pointers
C# has both
C++ has both
C has pointers, yet no OOP
lua has no pointers and no official way of doing OOP, but it has a complicated way of adding OOP using metatables.

How about they make an update where we code their next update, all by ourselves, forever.

A working calculator is the first thing most programmers make.

If you mean like, output the result onto a bunch of glow blocks, then ye, that would be time-consuming but I could probably do that.

2 Likes

This seems like a great idea and for people who thinks it is really hard for kids, and this is true.
And I found a solution for this problem.
We can use language ‘‘scratch’’. For people who don’t know what language is this. It is a language where u DON’T write however you more of a connect blocks like a lego. Lemme explain.
It works like every block have it own purpose, so you can stick multiple of blocks and it will make a functional code. Like
(1block) When Button clicked
(2block) turn on

The code can ofc be longer and harder, like using loops and sticking blocks inside it or variables.

It lacks pointers and oop, but it’s better than what we have now.

I thought about it more, if we can’t get a programming language, then new gates would do.

Condition gates (if, else if, else)
For gate (No need for while gate because that’s just timer + if)
Variable gate

I don’t see why we would need those “condition gates”. Those can already be done with the logic gates we have right now.

Now, for a “For Gate”, unless you want the amount of iterations to be some changing value, you can just use a Signal Holder Gate and put that in front of a Timer Gate. If you want the amount of iterations be a changing value, you could, if there is a small amount of different values possible, just have a different Signal Holder Gate for each possible value and have them all lead into the same Timer Gate.

I don’t understand how a Variable Gate is supposed to work (assuming by Variable you mean a Gate that stores a Variable, would be nice if you were to say what you actually want). What’s it’s output supposed to look like? How are it’s inputs supposed to look like?
Also, as far as my understanding goes, any block (also counting Gates, Props etc.) can only have 2 different states (On/Off), so the only thing possible with how the game works is 1 bit, which we already have in form of a Toggle Gate.
You could however, if it helps, connect Toggle Gates in series to get a binary counter.

1 Like

If we had variable gates, condition gates would save us from building massive circuits to compare these variables.

I’m not sure how variable gates would work neither, just an idea that could be implemented instead of actual variables in a script.

Edit: I don’t think that props and gates having a 1 bit state is an actual limitation they have, and not just a way they decided to make it.

A chest, for example, is a prop that holds a lot of values inside itself, ((an item plus its amount) times 4)