Anyone who speak german, can you help me?

What’s the different between Das, Die, and Der?

I’m start learning to speak german but i still confused about the different between Das, Die and Der :frowning:

@Gargoyle help him out!

1 Like

All words in German have “genders”. All of the 3 (der, die, das) are “the” in English, however:

• Der is for masculine words
  • Die is for feminine words
  • Das is for neuter words.
1 Like

I’ve heard there are different articles for different cases.

Prepare yourself my friend, for when the German speaker comes.

1 Like

Thanks mate, i also read this in google.
But idk am i overthinking about this or nah but there’s words that i don’t think it’s a feminine words or i don’t think it’s a masculine words…
But Hey, Thank you so much for answering, i really appreciate that :slight_smile:
(I also need to fix my english btw. i didn’t speak english this much for a long time lol)

der, die, das are three ways of saying ‘the’ in German . ALL nouns have a gender: either masculine (der), feminine (die), or neuter (das). You need to always know the gender of every noun you learn — otherwise, you won’t be able to use it correctly in a sentence.

1 Like

It’s kinda like “ten”, “ta” and “to” in my language. As a native speaker, there’s no way to determine word gender than to have it come naturally to you - you try all 3 of them before a word and pick the one that doesn’t seem unnatural.

For non-natives, it’s a pain.

Happy to be Estonian, there’s no specific words for any gender, we just call each other “tema”

3 Likes

Yes but you have 1337 cases

Oh yes, besides that we all call each other “tema” there’s a ton of weird exceptions that are pain in the arse to learn even for native speakers.

It’s so for all ugric languages I think.

Those aren’t exceptions tho, those are cases, there are rules for those

Yes, these aren’t, I was talking in general.