Forum posts being sold to ad companies?

Yesterday, I’ve made a forum post about maybe trying to start streaming.

Today, when I hop on Reddit, I start seeing streaming ads. I’ve never seen them before.

Before the post, I’ve only talked about the streaming only with my family outside of my home. In our bag, we had nothing with a microphone. No phones or anything.

This is kinda creepy if you ask me.

@Jake Are forum posts now being sold for personalized advertising? I don’t want the stuff that I post on here also haunt me on Reddit, so I just want to confirm.

1 Like

welcome to the internet KEKW

Why Am I Seeing This Ad?! How Personalized Ads Work.

1 Like

If it is being given to advertisers thats major sus.

1 Like

I tried looking into the topic, it looks like they must embed ads onto their website for third party cookies to be collected.

I don’t think websites sell data directly.

A website embeds ads via another service (for example: Google Adsense), then lets that service collect information (third party cookies) while you browse the website. (These are still stored on your conputer, btw)

That information is then used to show you more relevant ads.

The service gets paid by the advertiser per each click on the ad. The website then gets their portion of the money, since the ad was hosted on their website.

So if a website doesn’t host ads, they don’t have any interest in sharing anything.

I haven’t agreed to share any sort of advertising data on this website though. And I just don’t want my posts to reflect the ads I see. I just don’t.

not sure if this works
https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated.

I don’t think you understood what I said.

First of all, they haven’t collected anything.

Secondly, you did agree to it somewhere in your browser’s ToS probably.

Is there a chance you are using Google Chrome?