Story behind items (For devs)

What about the Bunnynator set?

download (2)

Does it have anything to do with Donnie Darko by any chance?

download (3)

Like with every seasonal changing legendary items it is every year harder and harder to come up with something related to the topic that has’t already been used. So we need to mix things up a bit.

I think one of our interns played around with the idea of combining high tech with easter bunny and after some bouncing around with the idea we came up with bunnynator. This also helped during next year by keeping the same theme going with Robochick

Nothing to do with Donnie Darko I’m afraid. More from Terminator (in the name part) and Robocop.

1 Like

Hmmm I wonder who’s that

I wonder what the backstory of the bunny tail is

I can answer this one actually

It’s the tail of a bunny and they added it because of easter :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

It’s a tail located in the back of a character.
So small that it got lost from the item lists after it’s debut on easter 201X.

1 Like

Another question, it is about the retributor set. First of all, how did you find SPAWN (the design is based off of him)? Second how did you get the rights to use his design since SPAWN is a creator owned character and the creator rarely lets people have the right to it which explains why he hasn’t had a funko or anything. He did appear in Mk11 but it was bcz they paid him.

Been a big fan of Todd McFarlane for ages.

Retributor is not SPAWN in the game and never will be claimed as such. He is a clawed hero with pretty common strong color scheme (black, white and red) and using his jump pack and mechanical tail to fight crime.

One can find similarities to SPAWN or even NIGHTWATCH.

Oh alright thanks for saying. Btw I am a Todd McFarlane fan too, fan of Venom and Spawn

What about Soil Suit?

Nothing fancy there just a random wild idea, probably suggested somewhere at some point too since people tend to suggest new usage for existing concepts (like soil wings etc.).

Just thought it would be funny to “hide” yourself in a world. (your name and eyes are still visible to prevent too obvious scams, if you want to hid better use a coffin etc.)

3 Likes

Well, he’s not really an item, but…
What were you guys thinking when first designing Jacko? Was he inspired by any pumpkin related characters before? Or was he just unique character of his own? And were there other candidates who would’ve “guarded” the Black Tower?

1 Like

The soil suit is november’s daily vip item, isn’t it?

Whats the story behind the big white hair that comes into the game in like 10 mins (the 2nd bt legendary)

There isn’t any particular inspiration behind it.

I think there are quite a bunch of pumpkin headed characters in popular culture. One being Mervyn Pumpkinhead the janitor at the Dreaming from the Sandman but that wasn’t on my mind when designing Jacko (which builds it’s whole body from the leaves and vines and hides it all under his clothes).

I think there were few other concepts (one being more tentacly-like creature) but pumpkin is too iconic for Halloween to be ignored - so we went with that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, since Jake already leaked it we can discuss it officially.
Yes, November.

2 Likes

It’s nice to see you still active on the forums :slight_smile:

While working with one of the community back item winners I got an idea of different kind of wings.
Also we didn’t have animated really long hair in the game so got two birds with one stone here.

4 Likes

It’s… WINGS?!
(20char)

Yeah!!! What next??? Pants that are actually a mount?!?! :rofl:

4 Likes